Sunday, January 9, 2022

The Japan Pom Pom Squad


With members between the ages of 60 and 89, the Japan Pom Pom is no ordinary squad. The squad was founded more than 25 years ago by Fumie Takino, who is now 89 years old. They didn't like being called "granny cheer dancers" when they began with five members.  Now there are 17 active members who wear bright outfits and flashy shoes. 


This 2021 video is about two and a half minutes long - - -



While they have continued to gain popularity, they are not accepted by the senior population, who say things like "Japanese women, wearing things like that, at their ages!" 60 year old member Tami Shimada told a news website, "If you are interested in something, forget about your age, forget about people saying it's no good for that reason... I think that leads to a reason to live."


This almost 15 minute YouTube video is from 2018 - - -


I don't want to join a cheer squad, but I hope to be able to keep active, walking, traveling, doing what I like to do, as I get older.



8 comments:

Sun City Stitcher said...

Neat! There is a group here called Sun City Poms and I think they based the movie POMS on them a few years back. https://seniorplanet.org/the-sun-city-poms-not-your-typical-cheerleaders/

Same idea, you are never too old to enjoy life!!!

Jeanie said...

I say, "You go, 'girls!' Well done!

Vireya said...

Good for them! It wouldn't be my thing, but it is inspiring to see older people being physically active and enjoying life.

kiwikid said...

Good on them for doing something they enjoy, not my cup of tea though.

Queeniepatch said...

Look at them and see how happy and cheerful they are! Isn't that great? To be positive, energetic and 'alive' at whatever age you are, must surely be better, both for body and mind, than to be negative, listless and 'dead'. If being old means the latter, I surely don't want to join that club!
I wouldn't want to take up pom-pom dancing, but like you, want to be active and do what I want to do as my number of birthdays increase.

Anonymous said...

I think I learned that getting elder is great.
The happiness of being able to what like is irreplaceable.
I don't do pompom,but I want to do what I like and keep smiling
10 years late.😊

D1-D2 said...

I think it's awesome!

Leonore Winterer said...

I think they look good in their costumes! It's a fun way to stay active, no matter what anyone says.