Sunday, January 16, 2022

Okayama Castle




Happy New Year.  My plan for this day was to travel westward toward Fukuchiyama. As you can see by the dark red, those train lines would not be running that day because there was too much snow. In addition, going back the way I came (Tsuruga) were iffy and running on a delayed schedule, with the possibility of suspension. Luckily, I was able to get to Kyoto on a very slow "One Man" train, then to Osaka, on to Himeji, and finally to Okayama.




Views from the train window - - -






I missed a few castles that I planned to visit, but I did eventually get out of the snow.  On the last train, into Okayama, a young woman sat in the seat next to me and we struck up a conversation.  She was also traveling by Seishun Ju Hachi Kippu. She had a map book with fold out pages that showed all the train lines and stops in Japan.  I would like to find an English version of it.




She was from Kobe, but on her way to Hiroshima.  She decided to stop in Okayama and accompany me to Okayama Castle. One of the good things about the Sieshun Ju Hachi Kippu is that you can get on and off the train all day with one ticket.  Okayama Castle is having some work done and is closed until November of 2022, but we were able to walk around the grounds and talk some more.  


From JCastle - - - 

Ukita Naoie began construction of the castle in 1573 but it was not completed until 1597 by his son Hideie. After the Battle of Sekigahara, Kobayakawa Hideaki was given control of the castle but he died just two years later. Ikeda Terumasa's second son, Ikeda Tadatsugu (a grandson of Tokugawa Ieyasu), became the new lord of the castle. The Ikeda family continued to rule until the Meiji Period. This was another one of the great castles of the Edo Period but was unfortunately destroyed in the air raids of 1945.










As it began to get dark, my new friend walked back to the train station and I went to my hotel. There's still more to come on my Castle Tour.


If you are interested in Japanese Castles, you can find links to other castle visits I've made on my Japanese Castle page.

5 comments:

kiwikid said...

There is a lot of snow where you have been! Lovely to have some company on your travels.

Vireya said...

It sounds nice to have a companion for part of your adventure. Do people in Japan normally talk to strangers in trains? Or are they more likely to talk to someone who is not Japanese?

roughterrain crane said...

It's a heavy snow outside of the train window. I have visited Okayama castle long time ago. Korakuen garden is very beautiful.
Take good care not to catch a cold.

Jeanie said...

I'm sorry the castle wasn't open -- it looks lovely. Wow -- that is seriously intense snow! I can see why you returned. I wonder if my friend in Hiroshima is seeing the same? I, too, am interested in Vireya's question about if strangers speak often in Japan or to a non-Japanese traveler.

Leonore Winterer said...

I'm sad to hear that the snow deranged your plans, but it's good that you are so flexible with these tickets and could just make new ones! And make a new friend along the way, too.