Tuesday, January 25, 2022

Matsue Castle


I left Hiroshima and continued to Shimane Prefecture to visit Matsue Castle, which is one of the original twelve. One of the trains I rode that day was an old fashioned one car train, with only the train driver to handle all the jobs on the train.



This was my first sight of the castle in the distance as I walked to it from the train station.



The moat



Kitasomon Bridge





It seems like most everything in Japan is uphill!







The regular entry fee for this castle is 560 yen, but because I am a foreigner, I was charged 410 yen!  Nice surprise.









View from the top:











After walking around the castle grounds, I went to check out the shrines.  Until next time...

If you are interested in Japanese Castles, you can find links to other castle visits I've made on my Japanese Castle page.

6 comments:

Vireya said...

Nice view from the top!

Jeanie said...

Wow --what a view from the top. Another beauty. I have to say, the photo I liked best though was seeing the inside of the train. I found that really interesting -- I'd like a train like that.

diamondc said...

Pamela: Thank-you for the history on this amazing Castle, it is lovely for sure.
The views are stunning to see.
I looked up the words Feudal Lords, amazing what the meaning is, I was thinking of fighting Lords, not so.

Catherine

Anonymous said...


The castle tower of Matsue Castle is a national treasure. You went to special place.

There are many mountains and few flatands in Japan. And it is thought that a castle was built on the top of mountain using the terrain in consideration of being difficult to attack.
As a side note. The old castle is a one-story building.

Queeniepatch said...

When I visited it was so late in the afternoon the twe didn't have time to get inside, nor take a boat in the moat.
I like the look of the black castle.

Leonore Winterer said...

This one looks old and massive and impressive!