Monday, May 1, 2023

Verkehr Museum

Yesterday I visited the Verkehr Museum, which is also known as the Shimizu Port Terminal Museum. I read that "Verkehr" is the German word for "transportation". I visited this museum in 2016, to see an exhibit of artist Chiaki Matsuse, in addition to the collection of boats and all of the port information. 


There were only four other visitors in the museum when I was there, and as it turned out, one couple was a former student and his wife! The admission fee is 400 yen for adults, so I don't know how they pay the bills. The current special exhibit on the second floor is Glass. Photos are allowed on the first floor, but not on the second, so I can't show you photos of the wonderful old glass items and advertising information. 


These are some photos I took of the outside of the museum before entering. The weather wasn't very nice yesterday, but the building and pools are interesting.







Here are the things I saw on the first floor. English information was minimal, but some things are understandable without words.




The detail on this model ship is so amazing!












In the passage way between two sections was the work of artist Nanami Hida. It was hard to take pictures because of the lights reflecting off the glass.









In a tiny room, there was an exhibit that seemed to be of a jewelry artist.






The last long hallway on the first floor held models of boats and this sea chest.



The second floor, where photos are not allowed, there were 397 old glass items of everything possible - bottles, plates, tiny glasses, dessert dishes, perfume and cosmetic bottles, toys, hair ornaments, decorative items, advertising items, things you can't imagine and I can't remember. The exhibit was wonderful and ends next Sunday. I'm glad I was able to visit the museum and see it.



6 comments:

Toki said...

I think you are right.
Even if I don't understand a foreign language, there are many things I can feel at an art museum.
I like the storage box of the ship in the photo because it is cute.

Queeniepatch said...

I am always impressed by the quality of the exhibitions held in Japan. At this museum, there are a number of very nice models. I love the one of the harbour.
About jewellery designer Chiho Tamiya, sure there is an Mt Fuji brooch in the display case?!

Jeanie said...

I am so glad you were able to attend -- and to share it with us. This looks exactly like the kind of museum I'd enjoy. I really do like the ships, especially, and the paintings are beautiful. It looks as though it would be fascinating. Pity you couldn't photograph the items on the second floor -- they sound wonderful too. Thanks for this.

diamondc said...

Pamela: I love ships this museum is amazing, the sails on the boats are positively beautiful.
Thank-you for sharing.

Catherine

Vireya said...

That sea chest is wonderful!

Leonore Winterer said...

Yes, Verkehr means 'transportation' or 'traffic' in German - I wonder how this interesting museum ended up with a name like that!