Tuesday, January 2, 2024

Hatsuhinode 2024

Hatsuhinode is the Japanese tradition of watching the first sunrise on New Year's Day.  I walked to Miho no Matsubara to witness the sunrise yesterday. Slowly, the sky became brighter and the beach became more crowded. It was amazing to behold the daybreak.


(The last time I saw the sunrise at this place was in 2021.)




















Then, yesterday afternoon, there was an earthquake. This is a screenshot from jma.go.jp.  I live in a dark blue area.




12 comments:

DUTA said...

Stunning sunrises!

Rhiannon said...

Beautiful sunrise! Hope you all are well - I saw the news and wanted to check in.

Claudette497 said...

I'm so glad you're okay!

roughterrain crane said...

This is a magnificent sunrise.
Wishing you a healthy and happy new year!

Lin said...

The earthquake is awful and so glad you are away from it, as I had thought. Beautiful sunrise. xx

Toki said...

I was expecting you to go see the sunrise, but you went anyway. Thank you for sharing the beautiful sunrise.

Jeanie said...

How exciting to see the sunrise with so many. I'm hearing now about a plane crash in Tokyo and the earthquake. I hope that is far from you -- and that all you know are safe.

diamondc said...

Pamela: Beautiful photos of the sunrise, so many people.
I hope the tsunami does no damage to Japan, stay safe.

Catherine

Vireya said...

A beautiful way to start the year.

Film I've seen of the earthquake is quite terrifying, and the news reports of deaths and destruction that are emerging are very sad.

Astrids dragon said...

What a beautiful tradition, and photos.
It looks like the dark blue areas didn't get it too bad, I hope all is well in your area.

kiwikid said...

Beautiful sunrise photos, you are right it did get very busy.
Hope you are well away from the earthquake effects.

Leonore Winterer said...

This is such a lovely tradition...but I am very rarely up in time to watch the sun rise!