Tuesday, January 16, 2024

Kinomiya Jinja, Atami

I took the train to Atami, Shizuoka Prefecture, then walked about 20 minutes from the train station to Kinomiya Shrine. It was a beautiful warm day.



Along the way, I passed by Daijo-ji Temple, a quiet place.



This was a few days past the New Year, but still within the week, and was busy with people visiting the shrine for the first time in the new year.




Mitsumine Shrine



This tree is the Second Ookusu, which is over 1300 years old.  It survived being struck by lightning about 300 years ago.




This is the Inari Shrine.



Continuing on, here is a map of the area.





This is the Main Shrine at Kinomiya Jinja.





There are a number of unlucky years for men (left side) and women (right side). There is a special event at this shrine every year on July 16 for men who have turned 42, in order to ward off bad luck.




This is the walk up to the 2100 year old Ookusu, which is considered a power spot and is also a nationally designated natural monument. It is the largest tree in the Honshu region, with a trunk circumference of 23.9 meters, and a height of about 26 meters. 



The legend is that if you walk around this tree, your life will be extended by one year.  Of course, I walked around the tree!






After ensuring I would live an extra year, I enjoyed macha and a sweet at the Saryo Goshiki no Mori shop. The seating was outside on a wood deck.



It was a wonderful little break. The paper under the sweet features this year's zodiac creature - the dragon.



I had a nice walk and gorgeous view, back to the train station.


5 comments:

Queeniepatch said...

What an interesting place and so many things to see. Isn't it wonderful that one can extend one's life by simply walking around an old tree? I love Japan!

Linda Schiffer said...

I did not realize that this is a dragon year. I was born in a dragon year, too. Hmm.

So much fun to read about the places you visit. Thank you for sharing them!

:) Linda

Leonore Winterer said...

Another great excusion! I'm a litlle envious, both of the beautiful spots you get to visit and the great weather you are having this winter.

Jeanie said...

This is another delightful excursion. And oh my! That blue sky makes me smile big!

Toki said...

It's a very famous shrine. I have never been there, so if I have a chance to go, I will definitely walk around the tree.
I feel the good spirit of the shrine.
Thank you for the photos.