Sunday, January 21, 2024

Yakuza Member Kills Man in the Starbucks (allegedly)

The Yakuza is the organized crime organization in Japan, also known as the Japanese mafia. I know it is sort of weird, but I am kind of interested in this crime organization. The tattoos, the cutting off of the little fingers, the crimes, the mystery.


Anyway, back to the news story. A 62 year old senior member of a yakuza crime organization is on the wanted list for allegedly fatally shooting a man in a Starbucks in Matuyama, Ehime Prefecture. Local police are looking for Yuichiro Maetani on suspicion of murdering 49 year old Yuichiro Ishikawa in the Starbucks store. Ishikawa bled to death after being shot several times in the chest.  No other customers were injured.  Maetani, a member of the Ikeda-gumi yakuza organization in Okayama Prefecture, was seen fleeing the scene carrying what appeared to be a HANDGUN!, according to police. (What? A handgun in Japan? Sounds like proof this guy is in the yakuza.) The police also believe the two men knew each other and were involved in some kind of trouble. Is that a hint that both men were yakuza members? 


I'm watching the news each day for more about this story.


Yakuza Tattoo Example - not connected to this crime story.




3 comments:

kiwikid said...

Maybe the young man challenged the older man or wanted to leave the Mafia group> Who knows. Sad to hear of a shooting.

Leonore Winterer said...

It does sound like the other guy might have been Yakuza too. How scary that must be, a shooting in the middle of a coffee shop!

Toki said...

It's a terrible incident, and It's also a nuisance. They may or not be yakuza, but It's scary and strange that there are so many incidents involving guns in Japan.
I laughed out loud when I saw the picture of the yakuza you chose.😂 If there had been a drink in my mouth, I would have spat it onto the iPad.
Since they are wearing loincloths, they may be yakuza from the early Showa era.
※loincloth=Fundoshi
It's been a while since I saw a photo of a bunch of yakuza with many tattoos.
I love your sense of choosing photos.
(When I showedit to my husband, he burst out laughing just like me.😂)