Sunday, March 18, 2012

Masks

Every day I see people wearing masks.  I’m not talking about the Halloween type masks, I mean medical masks. These are the kind of masks dentists and doctors, and sometime bank robbers wear in the US. People of all ages wear them here.



It doesn’t seem to bother anyone, except maybe foreigners, to see people wearing these masks.  People even wear them for group pictures.



I don’t know if the people who wear them are sick and trying not to pass on germs, or if they are healthy and don’t want to get germs, or if they are trying to filter out the cigarette smoke, or if this is a fashion statement, or if they are traveling in congnito.  Or maybe all of the above.





This is another mystery in Hokkaido.

1 comment:

Vireya said...

It is interesting to be reminded of a time when what we now take for granted seemed strange! I often used to see tourists or international students wearing masks in Melbourne and wondered about why. Now I feel like I will always want to wear one, particularly in winter when people are coughing and sneezing all over the place!