Saturday, September 18, 2021

Kasuga-jinja Shrine

 I almost missed this shrine.  I was walking past the Oiwake Park and the shrine was in the back corner.



I think the building on the right has something to do with the park.






This is the big old sacred tree.



These stones next to the tree look like they are really old too.





No water or hand sanitizer.



One has an open mouth with the ball and the other the closed mouth with the baby.





I like how this is tucked away in the corner of the park.

8 comments:

Vireya said...

It is nice that you found this place tucked away in a corner. I love your last photo, of the shrine behind the trees.

Jeanie said...

That looks very old. I love the cemetery -- and how you just happen upon these things!

Queeniepatch said...

A hidden gem!

Anonymous said...

Small dogs. The identity of this small dog is an imaginary beast. It plays the role of Good’s messenger and amulet. The two are in pairs the shrine.It's rare to be in a temple.

The two are similar but different beasts. The photo above is “Shishi” set up on the right. Mouth is open. The photo below is “Komainu” set up on the left. Mouth closed.
Translated into English,“shishi” is lion. “Komainu” is a guardian dog. However,the Japanese do not recognize “Shishi” as lions. The meaning of the guardian dog is correct,but the Japanese call “Komainu”. Both have cute toils.
This is my idea. Isn't it that a part of the original shrine site was turned into a park? I hope that both the park and the shrine are familiar places.

diamondc said...

Pamela: These are so beautiful to look at, thank-you for sharing.

Catherine

kiwikid said...

Another beautiful place.I enjoyed Tokis'scomments.

jacaranda said...

I hope you are keeping a notebook of all the temples and shrines you have visited. Each and every one has it's own lovely personality.

Leonore Winterer said...

Looks like you found another hidded jewel - how pretty!