Friday, March 25, 2022

Fish Ice Cream

 


Would you try it?  It looks good. 


It is currently being sold at the Sakura Fes Nihonbashi 2022 event in Tokyo's Nihonbashi neighborhood until April 10th. The Odashi no Omekashi comes in three different flavors, each one featuring dashi and the primary ingredient Katsuobushi, which is simmered, smoked and fermented skipjack tuna, also known as bonito. Bonito shavings are used to make dashi, a soup stock used in many Japanese dishes. 


The three flavors available are: 


Tsuyu no Moto caramel and dashigara cookies

This is a richly flavored marbled ice cream combining caramel made from Ninben's つゆの素 特撰 Tsuyu no Moto Tokusen premium triple concentrated soup base and coarse sugar from Kikaijima Island in the Amami archipelago, prized for its salty-sweet brown sugar-like flavor, and cookies made from rice flour and katsuobushi grounds leftover from brewing dashi.

Dashi, sudachi and bonito ginger

A squeeze of sudachi citrus goes wonderfully on bonito sashimi, just as freshly grated ginger is perfect on bonito tataki (seared bonito). This ice cream pays homage to these favorite flavor combinations, blending dashi, sudachi, and ginger to create a rich umami profile and extending the flavor of golden dashi made with Ninben's katsuobushi.

Dashimaki Tamago

One way of appreciating dashi is combining it with eggs to make an omelet called だし巻き卵 dashimaki tamago. This ice cream reproduces the gentle and satisfying taste of this dish, blending eggs from free-range chickens fed on homemade fermented feed, then steamed to perfection and flavored with Ninben's 白だし特撰 Premium Shirodashi, a light-colored concentrated soup stock.



Price for the set of three is 1,950 yen including tax.  It looks good, but seems a little pricey for me.  What do you think - Would you try it?

8 comments:

Jeanie said...

I think I'd like to taste it before I shelled out for it!

Vireya said...

It would be interesting to taste the different flavours, but they don't sound like they would overtake green tea icecream as my favourite dessert after a Japanese meal.

diamondc said...

Pamela: I am a very daring person, I would try them all, I have eaten grasshopper which taste like walnuts, I am a rebel as some of my friends call me.

Catherine

Queeniepatch said...

I would, if you treated me to it! I'm not willing to pay the price myself.

Toki said...

I love Dashi. Indispensable for Japanese cuisine. Above all,my favorite is Ago-Dashi.(it's a flying fish Dashi.)

But when it comes to ice cream,
the story is different.
If you can sample it for free,
I want to eat it all.

Leonore Winterer said...

I might try it, but I'm not too keen on fishy ice cream!

kiwikid said...

My sister in law always threatens me with fish flavoured icecream as I don't eat either!! Not sure I would be tasting it!

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

I probably would TRY it if someone else paid for it. I'm so cheap.
xx, Carol