Sunday, March 27, 2022

How Ready Are You?

After the earthquake a week and a half ago, many people are talking about how ready they are if a big disaster hits. Of course there has been a survey already. The survey was conducted by Weathernews and included 9,495 people. The survey revealed that 10% had prepared about a day's worth of food for a disaster, 42% had three days worth, 25% had supplies for a week, while 23% had made no preparations at all.  The average number of days of provisions was 3.09 days.



As would be expected, people living in the area hit by the Great East Japan Earthquake eleven years ago are among those with the greatest awareness for emergency preparations. My prefecture is in the "3.25 days or more" category.



Another question asked was whether respondents knew about evacuation sites and routes to get to them in the event of a disaster. While 93% knew where to go near where they lived, only 72% knew the location closest to where they work.



I could probably be better prepared, but I do have bottled water and a good bit of canned beans and canned fish. I don't know how many days that amounts to and I don't have much variety of food.  I do know where to go both from my home and my work.  My workplace is very safety conscious and regularly has fire and earthquake drills. 

How prepared are you?  

9 comments:

Leonore Winterer said...

I usually have about a weeks worth of food in the apartment. Would not always make for the most healthy or varied diet, but I won't starve!

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

I'm not sure how prepared we are to evacuate. But if we could stay on this land, we could live for a long time as long as the creek would not be contaminated. We do have a couple of water tanks on the property. I think they hold 500 gallons each, maybe more. We have daily earthquakes near us, but usually only below 1.5 on the scale and VERY deep below earth surface.
xx, Carol

Vireya said...

Just before our first pandemic lockdown, we started keeping more supplies of everything on hand. We probably have about a month's worth of food, and other supplies. It was good to be able to avoid going near shops during virus outbreaks.

kiwikid said...

We don't have much food at present as we are eating down preparing for renovations. Normally I think we could last for a month. My parents had a chillybin under a desk that had food and water and a torch and blanket. Mum used to swap the cans of food over each year.

Toki said...

7 days worth of water and food.
We have prepared for the number of people.
There is an expiration data,so I drink and eat before the expiration data and exchange.
We also store emergency toilets. Manual radio too.
I prepared these little by little.

Lin said...

When we were in France we could probably have survived for a month as we had a large freezer and well stocked pantry. When we were snowed in for a week we had no problems although if the power had gone we would have had a problem. Many of our neighbours had generators though as long power cuts were frequent 20 years ago. Now we have only a small freezer and I am building up a small stock cupboard but with shops more accessible and a smaller kitchen it isnt easy. Lets hope it is never necessary! xx

Queeniepatch said...

When it comes to food and water we would manage for about ten days. As well as specially prepared evacuations biscuits etc, we have a good supply of 'rolling stock' = extra packs of things we eat daily, e.g. long life soy milk, breakfast cereals, nuts and dried fruit. These things are useful if there is no electricity or tap water. We also have batteries, first aid kits, safety helmets, torches and fire extinguishers. Also portable gas cookers, and a commode that we can use with newspaper or plastic bags.
I wear necklace with a whistle, and carry a small torch. With these I can send sound and light signals if I am ever trapped in a collapsed building.

I am not sure that the evacuation site is the best place to be, it will be extremely crowded.

diamondc said...

Hi Pamela: What a great graft of statistics, we have a month's supply of canned goods and water just in case of a bad winter, summer we do not have to worry too much about even if a tornado came through, everything would be gone with the winds.
Stay safe

Catherine

Jeanie said...

The question is -- do you have a can opener? Don't forget that if need be. I don't know how prepared I'd be -- we've never had to deal with something like that. It's a little scary.