Thursday, March 17, 2022

Nishiyama Onsen Keiunkan

 


I'm always thinking of travel and researching places I might go.  I was looking at Yamanashi Prefecture, which is a neighbor of the prefecture I live in and came across information about Nishiyame Onsen Keiunkan, a hotspring hotel in Hayakawa, Yamanashi. 


In 2011, Guiness recognized this place as the world's oldest hotel.  It has been run by the same family and welcomed ancient samurai to modern tourists for over 1,300 years. Fifty-two generations of decendants have operated the hotel and onsen, adding on to the space and modernizing it as time went on.  


There are 37 guest rooms, a restaurant, and a moon-viewing platform. The hot bath machinering brings in 1,000 liters of naturally heated water per minute. 


I checked Booking.com for one night for one person and the cost is 66,000 yen, including dinner and breakfast.  That is more than I pay for a month's rent so I don't think I will be staying there any time soon, but I will keep it in mind just in case I ever come into some money.



6 comments:

diamondc said...

Pamela: 52 families is a long history.
This place looks beautiful, I hope someday you can stay there.

Catherine

Vireya said...

It does look beautiful.

Jeanie said...

How interesting. It looks lovely. There are a couple of places like that I have on my dream-list for England but no, I'll never stay at them!

Queeniepatch said...

I am sure this is a wonderful place to stay at, but at that cost?. I would have to say No, thank you. The service, interior and especially the food will obviously hold a very high standard. What makes it expensive in my opinion is the short time you can use your room, check in probably 16.00 and check out 10.00 the next day. Also there will be too much food, probably 14 - 18 small dishes for dinner and about 10 -12 for breakfast.
I will check the website and see if I am right or wrong!

Anonymous said...

What a high price!
Isn't it the price for two people?

Are you interested in Ishijawa Prefecture? There in a lamp inn in Noto City,Ishijawa Prefecture. This is favorite inn. Access is not good,but it is worth it.I recommend if you go to Noto someday.

Leonore Winterer said...

That's pretty cool, but oh my, pricy!
The oldest hotel in my town has been operating just over 700 years, but there have been more than 50 owners over that time as well. It's supposedly the oldest hotel in Germany, and a stay is just over 90€, so not quite as bad!