Thursday, March 31, 2022

Starbucks Japan Vows to Reduce Plastic Waste

I rarely visit Starbucks, both because the drinks are rather pricey and because of the high kcalories in my drink of choice. The exception is in the airport - I treat myself when I have to wait. 


I was very interested when I read about how Starbucks Japan plans to reduce plastic waste in their stores as part of their global effort to reduce waste by 50 percent by the year 2030. In order to do this they plan to switch to environmentally friendly materials and promote reusable drink containers to reduce the number of disposable cups, lids, and cutlery. 


Starbucks Japan proposed four new initiatives to reduce plastic waste. 

1. Stores will serve iced beverages in glasses 

2. Iced beverages will be served without a lid 

3. More stores will offer reusable tumblers that can be rented 

4. Cutlery will be reusable or made from 100 percent plant-derived materials 


Here are the details:



From April 18th, 106 Starbucks in Japan will begin offering iced beverages in glasses for use in the store. Any customer can also request disposable cups.



Also beginning April 18th, 113 stores in Japan will start serving iced drinks in cups without plastic lids (with the exception of children's drinks), when bought for in store drinking. Plastic lids will remain for hot drinks and will also be available for customers who request them. 




In some Tokyo Starbucks, stainless steel rental tumblers are available for people who order hot or cold drinks to go. I don't know what the details are about this. 



Nationwide, Starbucks will offer cutlery made from 100 percent plant-derived materials to customers who order food to go and stainless steel cutlery for in store purchases. 


Do you drink/eat at Starbucks? Are these initiatives in practice where you live? What do you think of these ideas?

6 comments:

kiwikid said...

Sounds like a good idea. We don't have a Starbucks near here so I don't shop there. I used to go to Gloria Jeans and to my own cup, that stopped with covid, hopefully that can return soon. Any change from using plastic is great.

Queeniepatch said...

I haven't been to Starbucks in a long time, but when I bought a drink there I always drank in-store and asked for a china mug cup.
I saw that some convenience stores are going to reduce plastic waste by making the cutlery thinner and have holes in the handle...

Jeanie said...

Since I don't drink coffee, I rarely go to Starbucks unless someone wants to meet there -- which is seldom. But I'm glad they are doing this.

Toki said...

I love STARBUCKS😊.But,I can't go many times because it's expensive.(disappointing😥)

I think it's good for STARBUCKS to think about the environment and act accordingly.
I want to bring my own cup or water bottle from home and use it positively. I bring my water bottle and receive a discount service of about 20 yen.😁
My favorite is Cafe Americano.

roughterrain crane said...

Lots of companies will follow them.

Leonore Winterer said...

I enjoy Starbucks drinks but I get them maybe twice a year too. But I welcome any change that encourages sustainability!