Friday, March 4, 2022

Top Dog Breeds and Names in Japan 2022

 After posting about cat names in Japan on Sunday, today I will write about dogs.  The information comes again from the Anicom pet insurance company survey and includes 125,711 dogs under the age of one year in 2021.



The list is much the same as last year. This is the thirteenth consecutive year that Toy Poodles were the top of the ranking. Small dogs (between 5 and 10 kg) are very popular in Japan. Only two mediup sized dogs (between 10 and 20 kg) are on the list - shiba-inu and French bulldog. Shiba dogs are so cute and friendly and well behaved. If I had a dog, I think I would get a shiba.








The dog names seem a lot like the cat names - food and colors of food. Sora means sky and Hana means flower, so not all food.  What is your favorite dog name?

5 comments:

Jeanie said...

I guess it makes sense, small dogs because homes are smaller. Love the names. I have no fave dog name!

Julie Fukuda said...

When I was walking from Azabu juban to my dentist, every dog I saw was a miniature poodle. Thinking of Nippori being called "Fabric Town" I thought maybe the juban should be renamed "Poodle Town". I can see why people living in small homes or apartments would like a small dog, and the fact they don't shed would be helpful. As for dog names, Nikko is where my kids found that stray puppy. Washing off the caked on dirt and setting her in the sun to dry, my daughter said, "If we are going to keep her, she needs a name". Nikko was the perfect name for that suny pup. White dog hair will be part of my life for many years since she passed away.

Queeniepatch said...

My husband's family had German shepherds for many years, big dogs, but at that time they were kept outside. All the dogs had foreign names, the last and the only one I ever knew was called Eric. He was a trained sniffer dog.
In my childhood I had a toy dog, a wire fox terrier and his name was Buster. I can't remember why he got that name, but he sure was cute.

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

I have two small dogs. Pin Pins that weigh about 20 pounds each. If I were younger and living in our own home I would have gotten another big dog when we lost Bosco. I still feel lost without him. Those Shiba are sure pretty. They look like Huskies.
xx, Carol

Leonore Winterer said...

I think if I was to get a dog, it would be a shiba inu too. They are so cute! I'm not surprised the Japanese are going more for smaller dogs with space being so scarce in the cities.