Tuesday, March 15, 2022

Unlicensed Crossbows Illegal as of Today in Japan


 

In June of last year, the Japanese government announced a revision to Japan's Firearm and Sword Control Law, to become effective March 15, 2022. Owners will have to turn in their crossbows unless they apply for and are granted a license to continuing owning one. License applicants have to be at least 18 years old, not have served jail time in the last five years, and undergo a background check. Licenses will only be granted for target/sport shooting or commercial/industrial use such at licensed animal control. Licenses will not be granted for display or collection purposes. Owners not applying for licenses must turn in their crossbows to their local police stations. (I wonder what the police will do with them.) 


Authorities say this law was enacted because of an increase in crossbow related violence. (I always read the crime news and I don't think I've read anything about this type of violence.) Unauthorized possession of a crossbow will result in penalties of up to 500,000 yen (about US$4,350) in fines and up to three years in prison. A six month grace period is allowed while waiting for the license application to be processed but firing the weapon without a permit during this time is prohibited.  Loading the crossbow duing the waiting period is also prohibited and can incur a fine of up to 200,000 yen.  


Japan means business when it comes to weapons. I'm happy with living in a country without gun or crossbow violence.  Are crossbows common and/or legal where you live?

5 comments:

Jeanie said...

I'm glad Japan has those kinds of rules and wish we did. I didn't know that much about crossbow violence, though. Sad and interesting.

Queeniepatch said...

Crossbow violence in Japan that I have read about often involved animals. I remember a case where a taxi driver took out his stress and frustration on pigeons. Many of them were injured rather than killed, showing great cruelty of the perpetrator.
As you have visited many castle museums, Pamela, you know how important bows and arrows were in Japanese warfare. The sword of course even more so. I think that is why the weapons chosen in Japan are often knives or crossbows. Readily available, and easy to handle.
We hear a lot about shootings in the States, and I guess the Wild West was the start of gun violence there. History and availability.
A kitchen knife can be found in every kitchen, and there will never be a time when a licence to own or use one will be compulsory. Having said that, I believe it is illegal to carry a knife, e.g. on public transportation. Craftsmen, scout leaders or others who need to take their tools from one place to another, MIGHT have to get a permission, I'm not sure.
Anyway we need something more than licences - we need education, debates and help to live in peace and solve our conflicts without taking to violence.

Anonymous said...

I have seen an incident using a crossbow in the news. Most of them were aimed at small animals. Among them,the duck is famous.
Arrow are“Ya”in Japanese. Duck is“Kamo”. So,A duck with an arrow stuck in was called an“Ya-Kamo”. (Also called “Ya-Gamo”)The appearance was very pitiful. I got angry.
(After that,the duck was pulled out of the arrow and was safe.)
I think there are many similar cases,and there are times when the target is human,so I think we have decided to regulate it.
I think It's a good regulation.

diamondc said...

Pamela: I wish America had the same rules, I think these are as bad as guns.

Catherine

Leonore Winterer said...

I think crossbows need to have a license here as well, whereas regular bows are okay to own.