Saturday, February 11, 2023

Okinawa - Naminoue Beach

The only beach in Naha City is Naminoue Beach.  It is not as pretty as the beaches in other areas of Okinawa, and the highway that cuts across the swimming area is especially ugly. There are showers and toilets. There are some benches at the edge of the beach, but people like to smoke when they are at the benches. I visited the beach several times on this trip.






High on the hill above the beach is Naminoue Shrine.



I didn't go in the water, but there were people who did.





One of the days I was at the beach, there was a bit of excitement. Several fire trucks and rescue vehicles were on the highway, with people looking down in the water, like they were searching for someone.



When I first saw the guy laying on the tetrapods, I thought he was sleeping, but he stayed there a long time without moving.  The police and rescue squad found him finally.



At that point, I thought he must be dead. He hadn't moved - mouth stayed open, hand across his body.  No one was shaking him or trying to revive him. I was sure he was dead.




Then, the rescue squad came with a stretcher and the police were trying to lift him over the wall.




He wasn't dead! The police got the black shirt off him and a mask on his face and he stumbled down the path surrounded by police, going toward the ambulance. I guess he was passed out drunk and not happy to be taken away.





They tried to get him in the ambulance but he wouldn't go.




At that point, the police put a plastic sheet on the back seat of the police car and put him in it.



He didn't look happy about it, but eventually he got in and all the police and rescue people left.



You don't see this everytime you go to the beach.  I'm glad he wasn't dead.

5 comments:

Queeniepatch said...

Some people are not a danger to others but to themselves. I hope he will cause no more trouble to the police and rescue people, and take care of himself.

roughterrain crane said...

He drank too much. I hope he can get a new and healthy habit.

Toki said...

The guy in the picture is an annoying drunk, but I'm glad he's alive.

Vireya said...

I'm glad he was only drunk, not dead!

Leonore Winterer said...

I'm also glad you had to not witness the police carrying away a dead body! Except for that, it still looks like a fun place to spend time, even with the ugly highway.