Tuesday, February 28, 2023

New Bicycle Helmet Law in Japan


Beginning April 1, 2023, wearing a helmet will become mandatory for all cyclists in Japan. So, what happens if you don't wear a helmet? Nothing! There is no penalty or punishment for violations. That seems so Japanese to me. (I love living in Japan!)


According to the National Police Agency, of the 2,145 people who died in bicycle accidents in Japan between 2017 and 2021, 1,237 (about 60%) died of head injuries. 


An online survey conducted in July 2020 revealed that only 11.2% of cyclists nationally wear helmets. Of that number, 63.1% of those younger than 13 wore helmets, while only 7.2% of people between 13 and 89 did so. By prefecture, Ehime had the highest rate of cyclists wearing helmets, at 29%, followed by Nagasaki at 26%, and Tottori at 18%. At the low end, only 4% of Wakayama cyclists and 2% of Hokkaido cyclists wear helmets. 


At my workplace, workers who commute by bicycle are trying to find helmets before the April 1st law goes into effect.  Because of the new law, there seems to be a shortage of helmets at bicycle shops in the area.

8 comments:

Vireya said...

Helmet wearing has been compulsory here since 1990, although I wore one long before that.

Barwitzki said...

Helmets are compulsory for e-bikes above 25 km/h.
I hope you found your helmet already.
I don't like wearing a helmet, but I mostly ride dirt tracks and quiet roads... and I ride without an e. so yourself :-)))

Queeniepatch said...

Compared to the evacuation helmets we have prepared for an emergency (earthquake), these bicycle helmets are SO light. Therefore, they should be easy to wear and become popular. However, they do mess up your hairstyle, and once you dismount the bicycle the helmet is a nuisance to carry around. I tend to keep my helmet on, but get weird looks. My husband said: 'You look very sporty in your helmet. The sit-up-and-beg bicycle does not go well with it. Do you need a racing bike?'
I fear there are few people who use the bicycle for short-distance rides that will 'abide' by the law. The road racers already have their complete outfit, including helmets. Shops around here still have lots of helmets on their shelves.
Have you ever thought of getting a bicycle in Japan?

Toki said...

It is a good rule for Japanese people to wear helmets to protect their heads in case of a bicycle accident.
It would be nice if there were more designs.

Jeanie said...

As one with a partner who should be a poster-boy for helmets (they have saved his life and brain MANY times) I am glad that this law is passed and I hope people will take it to heart.

kiwikid said...

I hope people follow this law and keep their heads safe, it has been law here for a long time, although you still people without helmets.

diamondc said...

I think wearing a helmet is a good idea, it also helps with neck injuries in some cases.

Catherine

Leonore Winterer said...

I always wear a helmet when riding a bicycle! But I'm surprised to hear the Japanese are as bad about wearing them as we are.