Tuesday, May 2, 2023

Fujinokuni Tea Museum

Yesterday, I took the train to Kanaya Station, then walked to the Tea Museum. I visited this museum in 2020, with the tea tour group, but we had so many things to do in the two day tour, that I didn't get to see enough of this place. I was glad I had the chance to return.



The museum entry fee is 300 yen. In addition there are other optional experiences, such as tea tastings, macha making, tea rolling, tea ceremony, etc. I chose the "Basket Tea" experience for 400 yen. I was given this basket and told how to get to the terrace area.



Inside the basket were a number of items - a sheet of directions in English and Japanese, a bottle of hot water, a glass tea pot, a Japanese tea cup, a timer, a packet of tea leaves, and a Japanese tea sweet.



From the terrace seating area, I could look out over the tea fields.








After I finished my tea and sweet, I returned the basket and continued on to the museum. The staff at this museum were able to talk to me in English and the signage was in English as well as Japanese.








These drawers are filled with tea from all over the world.  Visitors can open the drawers to smell and feel the tea.  




There were several tea culture areas set up to be like where they were from.






Next to the Tea Culture of the World Display was a video, narrated in Japanese, with English subtitles.












Next, I went outside to the Japanese Garden area and took a nice little walk around.




















I highly recommend visiting this museum!

6 comments:

Queeniepatch said...

I can see you enjoyed this excursion - there is an overload of photos- Such lovely weather! So much to see and experience. This is another wonderful museum.

Jeanie said...

This looks like a beautiful and interesting museum and I love the idea of the basket and your tea on the terrace. The photos look very interesting. I know I love tea -- but I don't know a whole lot about it. I'd love to visit here.

diamondc said...

Hello Pamela: What an amazing day trip, I did not know about the three categories of tea, now I know why they have different names and a bit of a different flavor.
Thank-you for the beautiful photos of the gardens it is stunning.
You are spending your nine days off in a wonderful way by exploring.


Catherine

Toki said...

It was only after I because an adult that I learned that depending on how tea leaves are processed, they can be made into either Japanese tea or black tea.
Thank you so much for the photos🙋

Vireya said...

A very interesting place to visit! Thanks for all the photos. The gardens look lovely, and the museum displays look inviting and informative.

Leonore Winterer said...

That sounds like a wonderful experience. The tea leaves are so bright green in colour, both on the fields and in your little tea pot!