Tuesday, May 9, 2023

Sengen Taisha Shrine Yabusame Festival

After visiting the Mt. Fuji World Heritage Center, I bought yakisoba (a Fujinomia specialty) to go and ate it outside. I then walked to the grounds of the Sengen Taisha Shrine, which was holding an annual festival involving yabusame, archery from a moving horse.  I attending this festival in 2018 with friends who arranged special seating for us. That was before the pandemic when we weren't so concerned about distancing and avoiding crowds. I didn't know what time the yabusame started, but the shrine grounds were already crowded. I walked around a little, but was uncomfortable in the crowded area and decided not to wait to see the archery on horseback. Maybe next year will be better.











4 comments:

Queeniepatch said...

People are so happy to be out and about now that they 'crawl out from under every stone'. It is sometimes scare to see crowds like there used to be before the pandemic. I hope we will feel more comfortable soon.

Toki said...

Everyone wants to go somewhere because it's Golden week without corona restraint.
Yabusame is a Shinto ritual, so I'm glad you were able to see it.😊
Konohanasakuyahime enshrined at Sengen Shrine. Must have welcomed your visit.🌸⛩️

diamondc said...

Very interesting photos Pamela, I hope you are able to see the archery on horseback.

Catherine

Leonore Winterer said...

Sounds like a fun day, but I get being uncomfortable in crowds. I'm not good with those anymore, either.