Thursday, September 8, 2022

How Do You Catch Your Orts?

Orts are those snippets of threads you cut off when stitching or sewing. Queenie wrote to me that she usually has a small paper bag to collect them when traveling but would love to make a more stylish "litter bin". That made me wonder what other stitchers use to keep their orts.  


I have a few ort catchers. This is the one I use at home when I am stitching. I can close the mouth so the orts don't escape when I walk away. 





I use this one on the side of my table if I am sewing on the machine or cutting fabric. It was a weekend class with Susan Greening Davis in Myrtle Beach, SC, US called Ice Cream Cones and Cupcake. The bicornou at the top is used as a pin cushion and the heart is a scissor holder, but I don't have any scissors in it now.  The pin cushion is on top of a tile covered with felt so it doesn't fall off the table, no matter how many orts are in the little bag.




This little cat coin purse serves as an ort catcher in my hussif when I am away from my home. The snap keeps the orts from escaping. 




This fold up cup ort catcher was a gift from Sandy Arthur on the Mediteranean Stitching Cruise.  It is compact and is a reminder of the great trip I had in 2019.







So tell me, what do you use to catch those little snippets of thread when you are stitching or sewing?

7 comments:

jacaranda said...

All your thread catchers are fabulous, especially love the cat. Next to my sewing machine is a small dish I bought on a Moroccan textile tour and when traveling take a little plastic sauce dish/lid that came with a takeaway meal a long time ago.

Lyn Warner said...

I love the frog! :)
And the cat coin purse. I think I'll look out for one of those.

Vireya said...

Your have some adorable ort holders!

abelian said...

I carry a little triangular catcher that will fold flat. Made following this tutorial:

https://needlingthings.blogspot.com/2011/08/triangular-ort-thread-catcher.html

But I really want a cat coin purse like yours! Dot

diamondc said...

Hi Pamela: All your ort catchers are great, love that frog the best.
I have an old candle holder, after the candle was spent, I cleaned it, it is large and attractive.

Catherine

Lin said...

Nice collection there Pamela. I have one of those with the tile that sits on the table but I use the bag bit for my glasses and tape measure etc. At the moment I am using a small fabric 'sack' to collect my orts and I also have one of those twisty ones that lives with my crazy quilting kit. xx

Leonore Winterer said...

You really love your little toolies - great collection of ort catchers! I have a jar with a ribbon that a friend gave me (the lid is also a pincushion, but I almost never close it) and I little squishy purse for traveling.