Sunday, June 18, 2023

Unprecedented Number of People Expected to Climb Mt. Fuji This Year


 

Because of a huge demand for rest cabin reservations already, Japanese officials are calling for crowd control measures on the mountain this summer climbing season (July 10 - September 10), including entry restrictions. In addition to the high demand for reservations, the return of foreign tourists and the 10th anniversary of the peak's designation as a UNESCO World Heritage Site are also cited.


Local authorities and tourism associations raised safety concerns in a petition submitted last week to the governor of Yamanashi Prefecture. Three trails to the top (3776 meters) are located in Yamanashi Prefecture, and one in Shizuoka Prefecture. Authorities are concerned that busy trails raise the risk of rockfalls and that tourists from overseas may ascend unprepared. The petition does not specify what the maximum number should be.


I know from experience it is not an easy hike. I saw hikers sitting on the side of the trail who were experiencing altitude sickness symptoms. I didn't feel bad when hiking, but my legs were sore for a couple of days afterwards. I'm glad I did it, but I don't want to do it again.

3 comments:

kiwikid said...

I hope the numbers can be controlled, seems damaging to the mountain if too many people are wanting to climb.

Queeniepatch said...

I climbed in 1984, and there were absolutely no crowds. We could easily take a rest in one of the cabins, without having made any reservations.
I also had muscle aches and sore feet after the climb. I am glad I did it, but will not do it again.
There is a saying: Mr Fuji should be looked at, not climbed, and I agree it is the best way to enjoy the beautiful volcano.

Leonore Winterer said...

I think Fuji has the problem that for a big, famous mountain, it's a relatively easy hike to the top, so people think they can just do it without much preparation.